Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Life of Pi


    I'm currently reading the book Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It's about a boy named Piscine Molitor Patel who lives with his family (mother, father, and brother) in Pondicherry, India. Through out the beginning of the book, Pi discovers many religions such as: Christianity and Islam, but he was raised Hindu. His father owns a zoo where they live but after a while, he decides to move his family and the animals to Canada because of political concerns  in India. He packs up everything and everyone and they set sail on a boat. Not long after they set off on their journey does the boat run into trouble and go under. Pi's family doesn't make it through but luckily the crew throws him off onto a lifeboat. Well... maybe not so lucky... because he's stuck with animals. Animals that want him for food. I'm just wondering, how is he staying far enough away from them that they don't? I don't think that the lifeboat is that big, especially if it has to fit on the side of the boat. 

      I think that Pi has a special bond with the animals, different from everybody else. I think that's the reason that he's still alive. He basically grew up around animals and that benefits him a lot. He knows how to act around the animals so that they don't get startled. I'm surprised that he isn't dead yet. Most people I know feel 'dehydrated' and say that they're 'dying of thirst or hunger.' but when you think about it, Pi has it a lot worst. He's scared out of his mind with two animals who want to kill him, on a small boat, in the middle of nowhere with no resources. When he found water, he explained it to be the best part of his whole experience. I think the message in that part of his story is that you don't appriciate what you have until it's gone. Pi doesn't have resources and doesn't even have his family. Those are things that most people in the world now don't quite cherish. People waste food everyday and a lot of families aren't as close as they used to be because of technology. Pi doesn't have technology and that's why his family is so close.


       In conclusion, I think that if technology wasn't something that we depended on in our daily lives (computers, smart phones, etc.) we would spend more time with our loved one's face to face, sharing memories together. Maybe there would be less conflict in the world if that was the situation with technology. It's fun and all but look at all the problems that it's caused in the world, it's really not worth it. What do you think? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you and I also think that if we put down the phones and computers and spent more time with the people we care about then it will become better for us and problems in the world.

    ReplyDelete